ESOS is mandatory for large UK undertakings and their corporate groups
Qualifying companies who have not yet complied with the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) should act now, to avoid fines and civil penalties.
The scheme involves quantification and audits of the energy used in buildings, industrial processes and transport to identify cost effective savings.
If approached correctly, participation in ESOS is an opportunity to cut operating costs and carbon emissions. It has been projected by the government to deliver total savings of £1.9bn between 2015 and 2030 for UK businesses.
Comply With Envantage
To date, we have audited nearly 1bn kWh to ISO 50002 standard for ESOS participants – and reviewed the scheme in the Energy Institute’s main magazine Energy World (read our article).
If you choose to work with us we will confirm that you qualify for ESOS, carry out your ESOS assessments, and communicate with the Environment Agency. Our approved ESOS lead assessors and Chartered Energy Engineers will deliver your ESOS compliance with added value and full support.
This means that any fines are minimised and you can focus on your business.
You can also typically expect us to identify energy savings of 10-30%, giving you the option of implementing valuable reductions to your operating costs.
To get started or identify if you qualify for ESOS, call Envantage today on 0800 054 2577 or email email@example.com.
Act Now To Avoid Fines
Companies that remain non-compliant can ultimately face substantial ESOS fines and may also be named and shamed.
If you qualify for ESOS you should have notified the Environment Agency by 5 December 2015, stating that you have met the scheme requirements or that you intend to do so. Since 29 January 2016, compliance checks are ongoing to identify non-compliant organisations.
The enforcement process is now also underway since April 2016, by a dedicated ESOS Enforcement Team. Compliance and enforcement notices are currently being issued, focusing first on those at highest risk. However all non-compliant organisations can expect to be contacted, as part of a framework of escalating enforcement.
Fines can reach:
- £45,000 for businesses that do not respond to enforcement notices
- £45,000 for failure to notify the Environment Agency
- £90,000 for failure to undertake an energy audit
- £5,000 for failure to maintain records
- £50,000 for false or misleading statements
The fines are designed to increase for each day of non-compliance. We therefore recommend that you act quickly and contact us today.
Click here for more information on ESOS fines.
ESOS Qualification Criteria
You are mandated to comply with the ESOS regulations if on the qualification date of 31 December 2014 you are:
- A UK undertaking which has 250 or more employees in the UK or abroad.
- A UK undertaking which has fewer than 250 employees, but has:
- An annual turnover exceeding €50m, and
- A balance sheet exceeding €43
- Part of a corporate group which includes a UK undertaking that meets criteria 1 or 2 above.
How Do You Comply With ESOS?
Compliance with ESOS is typically met via an ESOS compliant evidence pack, where you:
- Measure total energy consumption during a 12 month reference year across buildings, transport (freight and business travel in company and employees vehicles), and industrial activities
- Conduct energy audits to identify cost-effective energy efficiency recommendations, covering at least 90% of the total energy
- Have the ESOS assessment approved by an accredited lead assessor and reviewed by a board level director
- Notify the Environment Agency of your compliance
Envantage can produce your evidence pack, including lead assessor approval and notification stages. If you have an ISO 50001 certified Energy Management System, this also provides an alternative route to compliance.
We are here to help. Our knowledgeable team would be delighted to help you comply fully with ESOS and minimise fines. To take your first steps to compliance, contact us today on 0800 054 2577 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have delivered ESOS compliance for businesses with an annual energy spend from £100,000 to £4million, from large industrial sites to offices and transport fleets. Some of our clients include:
Here is how our clients rate our ESOS services:
- “Envantage’s ESOS report quality and timeliness of delivery was excellent, we had a very short timeline and Envantage jumped at the challenge. The ESOS energy audit reports were very valuable. We are quite an energy efficient business but the report flashed up some areas where we can explore improvements.”
Scott Green, Abbey Forged Products
- “I would like to thank all the team for your prompt and extremely efficient actions over the last few months which have enabled Silentnight Group to achieve our compliance a week before the deadline. I’m extremely impressed with the comprehensiveness and factual content of all the reports and are looking forward to us implementing the changes to reduce our energy consumption for future years.”
Howard Bracewell, Silentnight Group Ltd
- “We just wanted to thank you for the way Envantage Team have helped us to meet our own ESOS obligation. I would be happy to offer an unreserved recommendation for your services.”
Warren Glover, Lindum Group
- “Envantage as a company met our expectations of customer support with pro-active engagement & consultation during the compilation of the report. The ESOS report is comprehensive and thorough with excellent insights into energy usage and potential savings summarised by site.”
Ellis McKinnon, MetsäWood
- “I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for making this whole ESOS process completely painless and hassle free, it was a pleasure working with you all. Envantage’s customer support has been above and beyond what was expected. The ESOS report quality and timeliness of delivery was faultless, and the report has now pointed us in the right direction to start formalising our approach with a better understanding.”
Guy Love, Aspen Healthcare
- “We have worked with Envantage over a number of years. Always very professional and helpful. ESOS was exactly as expected: organised, professional and timely.”
Sean Bishop, A. Schulman INC LTD